With an unlocked bootloader, you can do a number of things which isn’t possible with a bootloader locked device. To learn how to unlock bootloader on Oneplus 5 and 5T, read this article without missing any of the paragraphs.
OnePlus 5 and Oneplus 5T, are one of the popular devices launched back in 2017 by Oneplus, the Chinese based premium smartphone company. These two devices have really impressive hardware specifications which make the phone’s premium and power efficient. And does also make worth every single penny.
So, if you want to unlock the bootloader of your Oneplus 5T and 5, then keep heading us through the article. Because this article is all about the steps that you need to take in order to unlock Oneplus 5 bootloader.
How To Unlock Bootloader – OnePlus 5 and 5T
Unlocking the bootloader terminates the manufacturer warranty of the device. However, relocking the bootloader is also possible. But still, move forward into the guide at your own risk. We will not be held responsible for any damage to your device. So, please take the risk at your own responsibility.
This guide has been divided into some major sections. You will need to go through and follow each of them. One more thing is that the guide supports both the one plus devices, Oneplus 5 and Oneplus 5T. But make sure not to apply this method on any other device of the model rather than the specified ones.
Backup Your OnePlus
Unlocking the bootloader will completely wipe your Oneplus 5 and 5T. So, it is advised to take the backup of your important data. Once the bootloader is successfully unlocked, you will lose all of your data on the device including photos, videos, documents, and other files stored.
To take a backup of your android device, read the article on how to backup android phone easily.
Install Platform-tools and USB Driver
Platform tools, basically known as ADB & Fastboot Tools is one of the necessary things in the whole process. It allows us to send ADB commands from the PC to the phone.
So, make sure to Download & Install ADB and Fastboot tools on your desktop.
Another required thing is your Oneplus USB Driver. This will help you to properly establish the USB connection between your Oneplus and the computer. To install them, just follow the tutorial here.
Enable USB Debugging, OEM Unlocking, and Advanced Reboot
In order to unlock the bootloader of OnePlus 5 and 5T, you need to enable USB Debugging, OEM Unlocking, and Advanced reboot in the Developer Options of your device. To do so, follow the below instructions:
- Go to ‘Settings’ > ‘About Phone’.
- Tap on ‘Build number’ for 7-8 times until you are able to see the message as “You’re now a developer”.
- Now, go back to the main settings.
- Then go to ‘System’ > ‘Developer options’.
- Finally, tap on the ‘USB Debugging’, ‘OEM Unlocking’, and ‘Advanced reboot’ toggle to Turn On all of these options.
Steps To Unlock Bootloader on OnePlus 5 and 5T
Note: Please make sure that your device is charged to a sufficient battery level of up to 60-70%. Because this will avoid any shutdowns that occur due to low battery. Finally, follow the below instructions to unlock your Oneplus 5 and 5T bootloader:
- Boot your Oneplus 5 or 5T into bootloader or fastboot mode. To do so, hold the power key for a while and tap on ‘Bootloader’.
- Now, the device should start booting into the bootloader mode. Once done, connect the device to the desktop using the USB Cable.
- Then, open PowerShell Window. To do so, follow the below instructions:
- Go to ADB Folder which is located in your primary disk.
- Right-click anywhere while holding the SHIFT key.
- From the options, select ‘Open PowerShell Window Here’
- Now, it’s time to check whether the device is properly connected or not. So, type and run the following command:
- If the above commands return a unique number as output, then it means the device is properly connected and ready to go further. In case, if it isn’t, then reinstall the USB Driver.
- Now, run the below PowerShell command to proceed with the unlocking of bootloader further:
fastboot oem unlock
- As soon as you execute the above code, your device will be prompted with a screen for the confirmation of unlocking bootloader.
- So, use the Volume Keys to highlight or select the ‘YES’ option.
- Once selected, the option will TURN as blue. Then finally press the power button to confirm the action and unlock bootloader of Oneplus 5 and 5T.
After performing all the above steps, the bootloader of your Oneplus 5 or 5T will be unlocked and the device will itself boot into the OxygenOS. So, now you can root your OnePlus phone and also install custom recovery.
In case, if you have any problem or query regarding the unlocking of bootloader on your OnePlus device, then feel free to ask us in the comments section.
More Topics on OnePlus: